Monday, October 25, 2010

"Sin? I don't have a problem. I can stop any time I want..."

I want to thank Isaiah for inspiring me to prayerfully consider some of the subject matter he brought up in response to my last entry, "Don't Judge Me." He graciously and humbly pointed out some distinctions that aren't just minor doctrinal technicalities, in my opinion, but rather foundational distinctions which describe principles operating on the molecular level of Christianity.


Grace and Free Will
Can we avoid sinning? In a nutshell, of course, to some degree. We most certainly have the free will to choose good or evil. After all, who can love what is good without the autonomy to do what is bad? What love has a man who has no choice? Can we avoid sinning with any permanence? It hasn't been done often. And if we could eradicate sin from our lives altogether, would we need a Savior? Or just the strictest of discipline? I think we need both; but only one saves while the other is strictly evidence of salvation. One is prescriptive while the other is descriptive. Paul preached about being disciplined, but he first preached about the despair, hopelessness, and helplessness to be found except within the shelter of God's perfect Grace.

During what would become the finale of Jesus' earthly ministry, He implored His Father to "...forgive them, for they know not what they do."

They know not what they do? Wow. What does that mean? I might consider that they actually had no concept of the sin they were committing. Someone could respond, "If they didn't know what they were doing, perhaps it wasn't sin at all. After all, you can't commit sin if you're ignorant to it." But I would submit first that you certainly can be ticketed for going 75 in a 65 whether you knew the speed limit or not; it is your responsibility to know the limit and to obey it, and there is as much fault in not knowing as in not obeying. Second, I might point out again that Jesus was asking FORGIVENESS on the behalf of others. Would it be necessary to ask -- no, desperately BEG -- forgiveness if no sin had been committed?


Ah, the complexities of life...
On a micro-level, sin is certainly manageable, I think. It is actually quite easy for me to decide, for instance, against stealing -- at least on a situational basis. But life isn't micro. Life is complex, full of inter-mingled relationships and systems of thought. It has been said that there isn't just one reality but a separate reality created and projected by each separate self. In a sort of a relative way, I can appreciate the concept. All people operate on the basis of their OWN personal relationship to the world around them and no one else's. This is unavoidable -- just an ink blot on the vast unchartable expanse of human limitation. I think that is one important reason the Bible pointedly instructs us to work out our OWN salvation rather than the salvation of our neighbor. We are to LOVE our neighbor and work out our OWN salvation.

The point is that I think it is undeniable that on a more complex level -- the level in which life actually operates -- we frequently commit sins that are not even known to ourselves (As I've pointed out, this is possible if we are ignorant of even one word in the Bible.). Furthermore, the Bible says that even our greatest works are as filthy rags to God. Do you know how filthy those rags are? "Filthy rags" translates more precisely into "menstrual rags." Yes. Menstrual rags. If our greatest works are that bad, what about the things we have done in our darkest hours? The truth is that at every point of our lives, we have been powerless. Nothing you will find in the Bible will tell you anything otherwise. We are empowered only to do the will of God. Anything outside of that is disgusting to Him in principle, and yet forgotten by grace and grace alone. In this way, sin is completely inescapable. If I have ever been 99% submitted to God (not likely), 1% of me still was absolutely hideously disgusting to Him except by His perfect Grace.

How important is Grace, and how does it relate?
I believe it is dangerous to lose this perspective even a little bit. Because to the extent that we project power upon ourselves, we also directly devalue the indescribable power and impact of God's abiding grace, which is characterized in part by its all-encompassing necessity. If we can do ANYTHING at all without God's grace, salvation is merely a really really nice accessory. However, if we can do NOTHING, salvation is an absolute necessity.

I honestly am posing much of this rhetorically. I started this blog to humbly enter the discussion -- not to dictate terms or even to moderate discourse.

In the last entry, "Don't Judge Me," I failed to adequately define my terms. But I'm sure, if you have ever found yourself in a contentious discussion, written a long research paper, or been in any situation where an exchange of ideas was taking place, you can relate to the frustration often to be found when the desire to communicate inclusively must, for the sake of avoiding convolution of the intended message, give way to the necessity for exclusivity. I actually agonize over how much time to spend on procedural steps like defining terms in my writing. But I have realized that if I were to incorporate defenses and rebuttals into everything I wrote, I would quite possibly find myself writing into eternity without having done much aside from defending and rebutting. Defense and rebuttal is better served in a different forum or through open discussion, I think.

It is always my prayer that I present my views humbly and that the conversation will remain open and inspiring. I greatly respect your views and positions, and I enjoy being a part of the great discussion.

3 comments:

  1. i think you will find me one of the greatest challenges to your humble and open attitude. this can be fortunate or unfortunate or both! =) i don't intend to frustrate or nitpick. i enjoy your writing and find great value in it. in fact i think i will share your blog on my FB page.

    i will try my best to consider your whole post rather than just small pieces of it, since that can easily lead to miscommunication and undeserved critique. and i will try to make sure any critique i give leads to constructive discussion rather than endless rebuttals.

    in a couple different places in this post, and (i think) in the post as a whole, this seems to be one of your main points: "If we can do ANYTHING at all without God's grace, salvation is merely a really really nice accessory."

    when you say "anything at all" i take you to mean "anything that might define us as ultimately good people." if that's correct, then i would have to agree.

    some people do good things sometimes. by good i mean they somehow coincide with God's values. i don't see those things as being salvific in the slightest; that's one of the main differences between Christianity and other religions. we don't do good things in order to receive grace. we do good things (morally approved things) because of grace. the thing is, some of those people who sometimes do good things are not Christians.

    i believe the good things non-Christians do can be approved of by God, without counting as salvific 'credit.' in other words, i believe our very best works are filthy rags in relation to salvation.

    if an unbeliever, even someone who had intentionally and consciously forsaken Christ, decided one day to give all he had to the poor, not being coerced but out of genuine caring (love) for his fellow man, his generous act would no more save him from sin than it would reconcile him to Christ. do you think God would disapprove of his giving? do you think God, if speaking outside the context of salvation, would say of that act, "it is despicable and filthy"?

    lastly... "We are empowered only to do the will of God. Anything outside of that is disgusting to Him in principle."

    anything outside of the will of God is disgusting to Him in principle. i would agree, and carry the thought a little further by posing the question, can people unsubmitted to the person of Christ do things 'inside' His will?

    i don't think it's His will that only Christians do good deeds. it is His will that everyone submit to Him; it isn't His will that everyone who hasn't yet, continue to do sinful things. to give a little background to that belief: i don't believe the image of God has been completely eradicated from human nature; that is to say, even though sin has defiled and compromised and destroyed that nature, it still exists in fragments. i can't think of any other explanation for sinful people doing unsinful things, often with unsinful motivations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a challenge at all :) Well, no more than anything else really. My humility is constantly challenged because I'm supremely flawed. I actually can't tell you how much this kind of discussion thrills me. Many times, it is in our differences that we are given the clearest picture of grace. I think that better friends can be made in disagreement than in perfect harmony. I mean, what is cooler than an open respect for someone with a strong opposing viewpoint?

    One minor issue I have with your response: I don't believe that the Bible says that our greatest works are like filthy rags to Him "in relation to salvation." There is a real danger of misinterpretation if we begin over-qualifying Biblical passages. People who are not Christians, in my view, can not do "good deeds" because the Bible clearly characterizes God as the only good and His work in us as the only good work. No one can do any good -- Christians or non-Christians. This is the entire substance of the Grace message. Even a selfless act is still governed in some deep pit of our heart, mind, or soul by some self-serving compulsion. The difference between Christian and non-Christian is that Christians are a "new creation" capable of being instruments of good. That is, there are moments when God can do purely good things through them where a non-Christian has not accepted that blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rest of what you wrote, I think, is close enough to harmonious with my position that I think I can just tip my hat and say "Thank you" for yet another extremely thoughtful response. I can't tell you how much I appreciate you.

    And it is a real honor that you would share my blog on your facebook.

    ReplyDelete